The DC Council will vote on the Youth Vote Amendment Act of 2018 on November 13! Before that vote, we need to say thank you to the members who already support the bill, and we need to persuade the other members to vote yes on the bill too!
These are the members who support the bill, with their twitter handles and emails:
· Anita Bonds (At-large), @anitabondsdc, email@example.com
· David Grosso (At-large), @cmdgrosso, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Elissa Silverman (At-large), @tweetelissa, email@example.com
· Robert White (At-large), @RobertWhite_DC, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Brianne Nadeau (Ward 1), @BrianneKNadeau, email@example.com
· Charles Allen (Ward 6), @charlesallen, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Vincent Gray (Ward 7), @mayorvincegray, email@example.com
· Trayon White (Ward 8), @trayonwhite, firstname.lastname@example.org
These are the members who do not yet support the bill, with their twitter handles and emails:
· Phil Mendelson (Chairman, at-large), @ChmnMendelson, email@example.com
· Jack Evans (Ward 2), @JackEvansWard2, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Mary Cheh (Ward 3), @marycheh, email@example.com
· Brandon Todd (Ward 4), @brandonttodd, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Kenyan McDuffie (Ward 5), @kenyanmcduffie, email@example.com
📢📢HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP!!!📢📢
-- Post on social media to say THANK YOU to the councilmembers who support the bill. Here is a sample post: So excited the Youth Vote Amendment Act (@vote16dc) will be voted on by DC Council next week! THANK YOU so much to all councilmembers who have supported it! @mayorvincegray @cmdgrosso @charlesallen @AnitaBondsDC @BrianneKNadeau @RobertWhite_DC @trayonwhite @tweetelissa
-- Post on social media to encourage the members who do yet support the bill to support it. Here is a sample post: "Next week DC Council will vote on a bill to lower the voting age to 16! This helps youth establish the habit of voting and makes DC democracy stronger. Can we count on your support? @kenyanmcduffie @brandonttodd @ChmnMendelson @JackEvansWard2 @marycheh @vote16dc"
-- Email your individual councilmember if you live in Ward 2, 3, 4, or 5 to encourage them to support the bill. Click here to find out what ward you live in. Here is a sample email (fill in the [...] parts):
Dear Councilmember [LAST NAME],
I am a resident in Ward [WARD NUMBER] and I am writing to encourage you to support the Youth Vote Amendment Act of 2018. Research shows that voting is a habit, and that age 16 is a better time to establish this habit than age 18. Turnout data reflects this; in cities that permit 16- and 17-year-olds to vote, they are participating at higher rates than all other age groups. This legislation will help young people in DC become lifelong voters, making our democracy stronger. Sixteen- and 17-year-olds in DC also work and pay taxes, drive cars,
care for family members, and are impacted by nearly every decision made by DC leaders. I know that District youth are ready, able, and eager to vote, and DC will be stronger when we pass this bill. Please support the Youth Vote Amendment Act of 2018.
Ward [WARD NUMBER] resident
-- Send other social media posts or emails to say thank you to supporters and encourage the other councilmembers to support the Youth Vote Amendment Act of 2018 to lower the voting age to 16 in DC!
-- SIGN THE VOTE16DC PETITION and encourage your friends and followers to sign it too!
Follow @Vote16DC to stay up to date with the campaign, and THANK YOU for your support.